At EndUserSharePoint I noticed that he encountered a bug when checking in files, so I responded with a little fix I created that involves a SharePoint Designer Workflow. Here is a link to his blog post: http://www.endusersharepoint.com/?p=127. It looks like a few people want to know how you would use SharePoint Designer to Check-In Items. So here is a little walk-through (will be adding screen shots as this post has been moved):
- For starters you need to open up Microsoft Office SharePoint Designer
- Now click on File-->Open Site and type in the url of the document library you want to add the workflow
- After you type in the url click Open
- Now on File-->New Workflow
- The Workflow Designer window will pop up
- There should be a textbox where you can name the workflow whatever you would like and a drop down that says What list should this workflow be attached to?
Choose the document library from the drop down menu. If it was chosen right site in step 2, then it should appear.
- The next item says Select workflow start options for items in Documents:
At this point choose Automatically start this workflow when a new item is created and Automatically start this workflow when an item is changed
What these options will do is set off the event that will be added a few steps later anytime the Properties are changed or anytime a document is added or changed.
- Click on the Next button
- A screen should appear that says Specify details for Step '1', then Choose and conditions and actions that define the steps of the workflow. and below that you will see Conditions and Actions
In this workflow only one action will be needed and no Conditions, because the document needs to be checked in every time an item is changed or addedCli
- Click the Actions button and you will see many options, such as Send an E-Mail or Pause for Duration. These are all actions that you could fire when an item is added or changed in the document library. For today we want to choose Check In Item. If you do not see this option on the menu, then click More Actions and a window will appear.
Scroll down the list until you find this option, then highlight it and click Add.
- An item will now appear next to Actions that says Check in a item in the list with comment: comment
- Click on this list and a box should pop up that says Current Item. This will choose the current item that is changed or added to the document library by the user. Click Ok.
- Now click on Comment and an area to type in some text will appear. It does not matter what is typed into this field. It is only for the record of the workflow.
- At the bottom of the screen there will be a Finish button. Click on this button. A progress bar should appear quickly and then close out. The workflow is now ready and should check in documents within your library.
If anyone has any comments or questions about this post please let me know and I will try to get back to you when I can.
After experiencing numerous issues with random bolding and the inability to add screenshots in an easy manner I am considering mirroring this blog to another hosting company. I hope you guys enjoy this post have a nice day all.
Re-posted from old blog